Within the submission each term of reference has been articulated with Uniting Care’s experiences with ACFI and the impact the instrument has had on services to residents. Recommendations are provided based on evidence that has been collected from the time ACFI was first introduced in March, 2008.
At the outset Uniting Care wishes to acknowledge the many positive aspects of the introduction of ACFI. These positive developments include:
• A strong requirement for, and focus on, rigorous assessment of care needs
• The potential for an eventual reduction in paperwork load for care staff
• Appropriate recognition of, and focus on, depression in the older person
• A strong approach and tools in areas such as continence management
• The generally supportive role played by many ACFI validators.